Point those toes!
Are your toes ‘En Pointe’? If they need some improving, read on!
There’s nothing like seeing a lovely long straight leg finished with a beautifully pointed toe. But, some of us (like me) didn’t get the good feet gene – Boo! Believe me girls, if there is a foot stretch, foot workout or contraption to improve point, I’ve tried it! Unfortunately, improving your point is a very slow and delicate process. It requires daily attention and you might only see small improvements over a long period of time. Nevertheless, a small difference is better than none and you might be one of the lucky ones who see big improvements!
Check out these 3 strengthening exercises and 3 stretches that I have found to be the most effective and the most recommended. Make sure you listen to your body; if it hurts and is uncomfortable, stop and adjust the stretch so it is less intense. Be gentle!
- Foam roll and stretch your Tight calves cause tight ankles. Your lovely feet will have a hard time curving if your ankles are restricted by tight calves!
- Stretch the muscles on the top of your foot allowing the toes to curl further to the floor. You can do this standing or by using a Theroband. The band also allows you to stretch your feet in a lifted position to increase the stretch. Do not stretch under the lounge. I know we’ve all done it (guilty), however it puts a lot of pressure on your achilles tendon (runs up the heel) and you will end up with a nasty injury.
- Roll on a tennis ball to loosen the fascia under your foot. Loosening the fascia will then allowthe muscle to contract when you point and assist with creating the arch.
Ankle Strengthening Exercises
- Theroband flex & push
- Theroband turn-out ankle strength
- Calf raises with a tennis ball
If this is a subject you would like to learn more about, check out this article by Dance Australia. Extremely informative with tips from a professional ballet dancer!